Monday

GWB Campaign Garb Made in Burma

Thanks to Honan for this interesting bit of information, where we're told that
The official merchandise Web site for President George W. Bush's re-election campaign has sold clothing made in Burma, whose goods were banned by Bush from the U.S. last year to punish its military dictatorship. The merchandise sold on www.georgewbushstore.com includes a $49.95 fleece pullover, embroidered with the Bush-Cheney '04 logo and bearing a label stating it was made in Burma, now Myanmar. The jacket was sent to Newsday as part of an order that included a shirt made in Mexico and a hat not bearing a country-of-origin label.
49.95 USD is 332.667 Maloti or 27.3398 British Pounds. I wonder what kind of factories they run down in Burma. I wonder if they (still) have sweatshops, too, just like we do in Lesotho. I wonder what that lady, what was her name -- Aung San Suu Kyi -- I wonder what she thinks about this. I wonder where she is now.